Los Angeles Chargers Thread - Page 720 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Los Angeles Chargers

Old 09.05.2014, 06:31 PM
MVP

I'm pleased. Solid pick. I do have some concerns over his height and the surgery he's just had but everything I've read (never watched him play other than pre draft clips) says he is a solid corner.

Mayock is someone who's opinion I trust and he says that if Verrett was 2 inches taller he'd have gone a lot higher.

Maybe he ends up in the slot, which means we could maybe do with another outside corner from somewhere however given how many teams play with 3 WR sets, Verrett is going to be a big part of the D. He'll have to cover Welker twice after all.

Be interesting to see what we do in rounds 2 and 3.

If Nix drops to us at #59 I'd be pretty pleased. Not sure we go corner again, or at least until round 4 or so.

I'd like to see NT WR OLB and maybe OG addressed in the next 2-3 picks

Last edited by UrbanLegend; 09.05.2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09.05.2014, 06:35 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegend View Post
I'm pleased. Solid pick. I do have some concerns over his height and the surgery he's just had but everything I've read (never watched him play other than pre draft clips) says he is a solid corner.

Mayock is someone who's opinion I trust and he says that if Verrett was 2 inches taller he'd have gone a lot higher.

Maybe he ends up in the slot, which means we could maybe do with another outside corner from somewhere however given how many teams play with 3 WR sets, Verrett is going to be a big part of the D. He'll have to cover Welker twice after all.

Be interesting to see what we do in rounds 2 and 3.

If Nix drops to us at #59 I'd be pretty pleased. Not sure we go corner again, or at least until round 4 or so.

I'd like to see NT WR OLB and maybe OG addressed in the next 2-3 picks
I trust Mayock on most draft-related things, but he does have a bit of a thing for chippy undersized corners...
Old 09.05.2014, 06:37 PM
MVP

Brent Grimes is the same height as Verrett. Okay fair one.
Old 09.05.2014, 10:15 PM
Team Captain

I'm sold on Verrett after watching his press conference. Clearly a good kid with what seems like a good head. I really think Weddle will have a crazy impact on him.

Said his parents were Raiders fans until we picked him, now they're Chargers fans.
Old 10.05.2014, 01:04 AM
All Pro

Traded up (again) using our fourth (again) to pick up Attaochu.

Disappointed we lose a pick but clearly the team thought it had to be done. If guys like Freeney can teach him how to use his hands properly it's a great pick, should see some interesting blitz packages this year in the meantime.
Old 10.05.2014, 01:58 AM
All Pro

You can probably tell what I think about trading up for an OLB while Nix is still sat there.

So far Telesco appears to turn in to Bobby Beathard in the 2nd round.
Old 10.05.2014, 02:48 AM
All Pro

Chris Watt, G, Notre Dame in the third. Don't know a thing about him but Mayock likes him and it's a need position, so...
Old 10.05.2014, 07:28 AM
MVP

Well, Like I’ve said a million times before, I don’t watch college. So it’s no surprise that I’ve never heard of either of the players we’ve just taken.

However what’s immediately obvious is they fill positions of need. I said yesterday that in rounds 2-4 I wanted to see the Chargers address OLB WR NT and OG (no particular order) and they’ve done that. Sadly they’ve had to give up a 4th to do that, which Ill touch on shortly.

Having read the reports on both, they do seem like solid picks with upside. Attaocho (is that how you spell it?) should be heavily involved in the rotation right away. He’s young and has some excellent players to learn from. We lacked a pass rush last season so having him in the mix is a positive thing. Thinking of the future, if all goes to plan, him and Ingram could make a nice pairing. So I do like the sound of him as a player.

Watt sounds like a solid pick, He’s coming off an ACL/MCL tear but everything I’ve read said he is a solid guard, especially in the run game. The chargers need and eventual replacement for Clary, if not this season then certainly moving forward. If Watt works out, it’s hard to imagine Clary, Watt, Rinehart and Troutman all being on the roster. They’ll keep Orhnberger as he can play centre so maybe, just maybe, If Watt looks good, Clary is a camp casualty. Oline is clearly important, we’ve quite possibly just gotten our self a solid depth guy who may well be a starter. Hard to argue that with a 3rd round selection and if Joe D'Alessandris likes him??

I just hate giving up picks. Especially picks as high as 4th even more so in a deep draft. For the second year in a row too. That’s potentially 2 solid players. If Teo’o and Attaocho work out then it’s not so much of an issue but if they don’t.

For me our glaring needs are now NT and WR.

Whether NT could have been address in round 4, I don’t know. One thing I’m sure on is in rounds 5-7 we’d be taking a project. You don’t find instant starters for a 3-4 NT in rounds 5-7 often. We already have Lissemore who’s arguably a project at NT anyway given he’s better suited to DE. Then there’s Gaithers who was an UFA last year so is clearly a project. Maybe they trade back into the 4th, maybe they take a flyer on someone in the latter rounds however it appears Lissemore and Gaithers will be the 2 NTs this season.

Hopefully the WR class runs as deep as they say and we can snag someone, maybe Norwood, in the 5th. If Floyd is fit, then I’m not too concerned about WR. I think we’d need to find one but taking someone in the 5th who can play a few wrinkles, add some speed and have some time to develop is fine by me as we do have options in the passing game, not just from our WRs. However if Floyd can’t go this year, we really do need someone who can play legitimate snaps. Do we find that player as low as the 5th? Thats my concern. Hence why it would have been nice to keep the 4th.

Still, I think on the surface, Telesco appears to be having another solid draft.

Last edited by UrbanLegend; 10.05.2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10.05.2014, 09:47 AM
Team Captain

It would appear as though we've went back to the good old AJ Smith days of just drafting linebackers regardless of not if we need them.

I do watch college football a lot but I never heard much about Attaochu, vaguely remember seeing him play one Georgia St. game at DE and as Mayock eluded to last night he's undersized for the position.

I really don't understand why we've took him when Louis Nix was still available. It nice that we have someone who could blitz as a LB but if we don't have a bloody nose tackle what's the point.

Pretty Much watched a lot of Notre Dame's matches over the last few years and cant really argue with the pick for Watt. He's a solid guard and we desperately needed one.

I hate to keep mentioning this but I just don't understand why we've traded away a pick to get this LB when Nix is the greater need. There's a lot more LB's in this draft than Big nose tackle's in this draft who've played the last 4 years dominantly in a 3-4 defense like Nix.
Old 10.05.2014, 12:17 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegend View Post
Watt sounds like a solid pick, He’s coming off an ACL/MCL tear but everything I’ve read said he is a solid guard, especially in the run game. The chargers need and eventual replacement for Clary, if not this season then certainly moving forward. If Watt works out, it’s hard to imagine Clary, Watt, Rinehart and Troutman all being on the roster. They’ll keep Orhnberger as he can play centre so maybe, just maybe, If Watt looks good, Clary is a camp casualty. Oline is clearly important, we’ve quite possibly just gotten our self a solid depth guy who may well be a starter. Hard to argue that with a 3rd round selection and if Joe D'Alessandris likes him??
I think I read/heard somewhere that Watt played at centre too for a little bit. Maybe makes Orhnberger less valuable if he shows himself capable of playing both positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainWi View Post
It would appear as though we've went back to the good old AJ Smith days of just drafting linebackers regardless of not if we need them.

I do watch college football a lot but I never heard much about Attaochu, vaguely remember seeing him play one Georgia St. game at DE and as Mayock eluded to last night he's undersized for the position.

I really don't understand why we've took him when Louis Nix was still available. It nice that we have someone who could blitz as a LB but if we don't have a bloody nose tackle what's the point.

Pretty Much watched a lot of Notre Dame's matches over the last few years and cant really argue with the pick for Watt. He's a solid guard and we desperately needed one.

I hate to keep mentioning this but I just don't understand why we've traded away a pick to get this LB when Nix is the greater need. There's a lot more LB's in this draft than Big nose tackle's in this draft who've played the last 4 years dominantly in a 3-4 defense like Nix.
I'd agree that NT looked like the bigger need but English, Freeney and Kieser are all free agents next year, plus Johnson is likely to be gone too. If they like Attaochu a lot then I can understand the pick.
I guess they're happy to see Geathers playing a significant amount of snaps, judging by the way the offseason has went thus far.