Laron Landry - Better at SS? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Washington Redskins

Sponsored Links

Old 04.10.2009, 08:05 PM
All Pro

Default Laron Landry - Better at SS?

Watching this game I've seen the best parts of Laron's game when he has been playing close to the line. I know he probably has the best range of all our safeties, and we have two good SS in Horton and Reed, but ...

I always thought Landry was best suited to FS, but unless he matures pretty soon, his rash tackling is going to cause us problems.

Who does everyone think our best safety tandem is?

I think Landry close to the line at SS, which I guess leaves Moore at FS, who I do really like what I've seen of so far, but probably has the same faults as Landry, likes to go for the big hit. But still that would probably be my tandem with Doughty / Horton in the Cobra package.

p.s. Orakpo needs to start playing at DE, one sack (or was it two?) and a holding penalty on what would have been a definite sack, he sure does look good coming off the edge.
Sponsored Links
Old 04.10.2009, 10:11 PM
All Pro

I hate to say it (having invested in a Landry jersey last year), but he could make fantastic trade bait for a sensible incoming GM to get us another high pick...

Of course, I'll believe that when I see it.
Old 06.10.2009, 10:44 PM
Pro Bowler

I don't get it when people criticise Landry's tackling and then ask the question whether he's better suited for SS? That doesn't make sense to me. I can't think the last time a team scored a deep bomb downfield against us a la Campbell - Moss at the weekend. Landry's speed pretty much negates it. It deters teams from throwing deep in the same way the Williams wall deters teams running up the gut (don't misinterpret this - i'm not saying i'd prefer Landry to the Williamses ).

He's not perfect but I wouldn't want to trade him either. I think a little shell-like advice in becoming a more sure-fire tackler will be enough for Landry and I hope he stays a Redskin as long as possible.

I'm hoping he starts growing up soon - like we saw Sean Taylor a season or two before he died

Last edited by Harwich Hog; 06.10.2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07.10.2009, 12:32 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harwich Hog View Post
I don't get it when people criticise Landry's tackling and then ask the question whether he's better suited for SS? That doesn't make sense to me. I can't think the last time a team scored a deep bomb downfield against us a la Campbell - Moss at the weekend. Landry's speed pretty much negates it. It deters teams from throwing deep in the same way the Williams wall deters teams running up the gut (don't misinterpret this - i'm not saying i'd prefer Landry to the Williamses ).

He's not perfect but I wouldn't want to trade him either. I think a little shell-like advice in becoming a more sure-fire tackler will be enough for Landry and I hope he stays a Redskin as long as possible.

I'm hoping he starts growing up soon - like we saw Sean Taylor a season or two before he died
The only thing that really stuck out for me was when he was closer to the LOS he didn't seem to go for the highlight reel hit, where as when he sees people running in space he tries to lay them out.

I agree though, all it would take is a little maturity, a little coaching - getting him to pick and choose when to wrap up tackle and when knock them on their ass. The deterrent factor of him being there is something I didn't take in to account, and is a very good point!

Maybe thats part of the problem though, we've all got images of Sean Taylor in our head and remember him playing in his more mature last seasons ... there is no doubt Landry has the physical gifts to play either Safety position at a very high level.

p.s. I also don't want him to be traded, also another person who invested in a #30 jersey, don't let us down Laron!
Old 07.10.2009, 02:57 PM
All Pro

His hands let him down at FS, ideally you want a FS who can make picks and that isn't really a part of his game. He does have the range to excel in coverage though and the range to allow him to play close to the line in run support and still get back into pass protection if thats needed, I think he makes a better SS than FS. Ultimately if I was the Redskins GM I would be planning to keep him and making sure I had the right S partner to play alongside him.
Old 07.10.2009, 04:17 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harwich Hog View Post
Agree with this, People seem to forget that Taylor used to go for the highlight reel hits instead of simply making the tackle when he first came into the league so as long as Landry matures like ST did then i have no problem, if however next season or the season after he is still doing the same stupid things then i'll worry
Old 09.10.2009, 07:44 PM
Pro Bowler

Guys

The skill sets for the two safety positions are entirely different particularly when considering the systems the Skins run. Landry is definitely a FS for the Skins.....
Old 10.11.2009, 01:07 PM
All Pro

Jim Zorn has said with Horton being out for at least 4 weeks, one of the options they are looking at is moving Landry to SS and playing probably Moore or Doughty at FS. Personally I would prefer Moore, can't imagine Doughty playing FS.

Whats everyone's thoughts about that? I thought Landry had one really good play when he stopped the end around on 3rd down (which I believe his starting point was close to the LOS). The others, as people have already said, he had horrible angles on the first 2 Turner TD's, with a shocking attempt at a tackle on the second, and of course the pointless late hit on Ryan.
Old 10.11.2009, 01:51 PM
All Pro

No way Doughty should play FS.

He's good in run support, but will be seriously exposed at FS, imo.
Old 11.11.2009, 01:28 PM
All Pro

Someone at Extremeskins did some great step-by-steps of Laron's big missed tackles in the game on Sunday:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=307737

Worth a look, his angle on the first one was just horrible

Edit: Every time I look back at the big plays Landry has missed, its always been him coming from deep. I don't know whether its lack of concentration or poor technique or whatever, I've just got a feeling if we played him closer to the LOS at SS we would see more plays like that 3rd down stop, when he has less ground to cover between him and the ball carrier.

Last edited by steblin; 11.11.2009 at 01:37 PM.