Finding The Right Team - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > New to the NFL?

Sponsored Links

Old 09.02.2012, 12:49 PM
Rookie

Default Finding The Right Team

Hi

I'm a newbie on these forums, although I've followed the NFL for around 3 years now on and off.

I got absolutely hooked this season, and what a spectacle to end it.

I've decided that to enjoy the sport even more, I have to pick a team. I support teams in every other sport I follow, and it really does make a massive difference when you find yourself routing for your own team.

The trouble I've had is actually selecting a team. This is because I've literally no reason to select one over another, no family member supports a particular team, no childhood team etc.
After watching closely this year, and getting a few mates involved, I've managed to create a shortlist

New Orleans
Carolina
San Diego
Seattle

I don't know whether to go for an up and coming team like Carolina and Seattle, or go for a team that got me into the sport New Orleans and San Diego, with seasoned veterans.

Basically can't decided between a team that's good now, and I can enjoy them more straight away. Or a team that's making progress and will be good further down the line
Sponsored Links
Old 09.02.2012, 12:55 PM
Pro Bowler

If you have no preference then don't worry. I am in a similar situation, I for some reason have always had a soft spot for the bills, but have love for a few other teams like the Seahawks, Jets, Packers for various reasons.
Old 09.02.2012, 01:29 PM
Pro

Quite a few threads on this topic at the moment. I'm following the other with some interest, though it's maybe not what I'd suggest. Personally, I'm going to select tow teams, one AFC, one NFC. I decided to follow the Rams for NFC since they are going to be our home team for the next 3 years, I might as well show some "local" support!

As far as AFC, I plan to watch a load of previous games over the gap and see which playstyle I end up gelling with.
Old 09.02.2012, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley2011 View Post
Hi

I'm a newbie on these forums, although I've followed the NFL for around 3 years now on and off.

I got absolutely hooked this season, and what a spectacle to end it.

I've decided that to enjoy the sport even more, I have to pick a team. I support teams in every other sport I follow, and it really does make a massive difference when you find yourself routing for your own team.

The trouble I've had is actually selecting a team. This is because I've literally no reason to select one over another, no family member supports a particular team, no childhood team etc.
After watching closely this year, and getting a few mates involved, I've managed to create a shortlist

New Orleans
Carolina
San Diego
Seattle

I don't know whether to go for an up and coming team like Carolina and Seattle, or go for a team that got me into the sport New Orleans and San Diego, with seasoned veterans.

Basically can't decided between a team that's good now, and I can enjoy them more straight away. Or a team that's making progress and will be good further down the line
The best thing is to read as much as you can on each team and watch as many games as possible. Hopefully that will help draw you towards a particular team.

That being said, if I were you I'd go for a team like Carolina or Seattle. They're both in the top 5 youngest nfl rosters, have some star power but with little past success (both have just one SB appearance and no wins). By following them you'll be able to see the team develop and watching them finally succeed will be all the sweeter.
Old 09.02.2012, 02:23 PM
MVP

Any friends who are into the sport? If so, you could either support the same team as them, or, if you don't like that, you should go for one in the same conference. That way you'll play each other a bit and their results might be more relevant to your team's result - either cos you're in the same division or come end of the season in the wildcard/playoff seed race and the playoffs themselves.
Old 09.02.2012, 02:25 PM
MVP

Carolina's a good choice.

This might sound funny, but do you like watching your teams live, and how late can you stay up on Sundays if that's the case? It's just you've listed two west coast teams there so if you need to call it a night by, say, 11.30pm for work purposes you'll struggle to see the end of your team's games quite often, as their home games never start earlier than 9pm in the UK.
Old 09.02.2012, 03:11 PM
Rookie

Cheers for the replies.

I get what your saying with just watching games from the season etc but I've watched nearly every game in highlights from this past season and if anything it makes the choice even greater.

I'm a big fan of the other thread on here too. Its not the way I want to go about deciding on a team but it is really interesting and a brilliant read.

I can understand jrt's point of supporting either seattle or carolina, as they aren't quite there yet and it would be nice to watch them work their way up. Most of the time this is how I think.

Although I do get the nagging feeling that teams like the saints and chargers made me enjoy the sport in the first place. I guess the way to look at that is, I've probably missed the best parts of both those teams, as they are both ageing and may have already peaked.

I think I'm more of a fan of rivers rather than the chargers, and the same with brees and payton with the saints. I see seattle and carolina more as organisations and don't particulary get drawn to an individual player, which can be quite good because players come and go, but the team is a constant.

Flakmagnet, why the falcons helmet?

European bob, some sound advice, I'm never in bed earlier then 12.30am, even with work the following day. My daughter is 3 months old and now she's sleeping through the nights me and my wife are in the routine of no sleep haha. Do you support a team? I see no avatar, if so, why do you support them?
Old 09.02.2012, 03:14 PM
Rookie

I have a mate I literally work right next to all day who is a 49ers fan. So seattle would win there. But that's just one thing. I have a mate who supports the saints as well. And a poor lonely sole who supports the vikings haha. Other friends support broncos and browns.
Old 09.02.2012, 03:38 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley2011 View Post
European bob, some sound advice, I'm never in bed earlier then 12.30am, even with work the following day. My daughter is 3 months old and now she's sleeping through the nights me and my wife are in the routine of no sleep haha. Do you support a team? I see no avatar, if so, why do you support them?
Yeah I'm a Steelers fan, and I love them! Been over to see them play the last few seasons. I actually support them cos when I was about 6 or so (am 27 now) I had a yellow Pittsburgh Steelers t-shirt (from Marks and Spencers of all places!). Guess my parents got it for me, not that they'd have known what it was! So I clung to that and when I was a bit older I watched NFL Blitz on Channel 4 on Saturday mornings (right after Football Italia - hence I'm an Italian football fan too!) and cos of that t-shirt it was obvious who my team would be! This would have been around the year of Super Bowl 28. Wouldn't say I understood everything that went on, but Pittsburgh was my team. If my dad went on business to the States, as he did every now and then, I'd always ask him to bring me back something Steelers-related: remember a mini football, a baseball cap, a sign for my bedroom door saying "Pittsburgh Steelers locker room!". I basically relied on Channel 4 and teletext to know what was going on. Good times. I sort of drifted away from following the NFL for a while but I always had my team I'd say I supported even if I didn't know the results. I went on a trip to America in 2001 and remember managing to get hold of a number 36 Jerome Bettis jersey from a shop in Philadelphia. A few years later I got into the sport in a bigger way and watched live games and such, especially in the last 6 years or so as I've got more disillusioned with football - well, who else could I possibly pick as my team now, after all that?

I like to have just the NFL avatar though cos I like to think of myself as an NFL fan in general as well: I will nearly always pick the Steelers game when there's a choice (I think I made one exception last season) but I love watching games as a neutral too. Watch all the SNFs, MNFs, even Thursdays, regardless of who is playing. Also I like the NFL avatar just because I think fans on here always look at your logo first before they read what you say, and label you accordingly. And I like to think that even if I am a fan of one team I'm pretty impartial when it comes to doling out praise and criticism, whether that's my team or any other.

Last edited by European Bob; 10.02.2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09.02.2012, 03:52 PM
Rookie

European bob, cheers for the info.
I get what you mean with the team logos on here and maybe some people do label each other by which team they support.

I always record the thursday, sunday and monday late games. I do just love the NFL in general, I do want a team to support, but I will always watch the late games, no matter who is playing