A New Discovery - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > New to the NFL?

Sponsored Links

Old 14.03.2012, 10:04 AM
Rookie

Default A New Discovery

Hi there

Sorry for another one of these threads but I have recently discovered NFL, along with the NBA and MLB (thanks to ESPN).

Basically I want my teams from all 3 sports to come from the same city.

I then got rid of the teams I didn't like, or I had friends that supported them

This is more of a 3 sport thread so not completely soley NFL.

Therefore I am left with a choice of 4

Washington Redskins
Atlanta Falcons
Seattle Seahawks (I included portland here)
Dallas Cowboys

I was just wondering what everyones thoughts on these 4 teams were

I don't necessary need a team to be good right away, but I would prefer decent competitive teams in one of the above sports

I also prefer a young roster, so I can watch the team grow

Thanks for any reponse.
Sponsored Links
Old 14.03.2012, 11:30 AM
Banned

In my 5 years following the NFL the Redskins have done nothing other than make bad decisions, just like the trade they've recently done with the Rams, and I'm sure if you have ESPN you'll know the Wizards are a joke and the Nationals aren't much better.

The Cowboys seem to be the glamour team in the big stadium and big expectations but only one playoff win since 95 and a habit of collapsing in December does them in. The Mavs are reigning Champs and the Rangers have reached the World Series the last two years.

Seattle are a difficult one to gauge. They had a Super Bowl loss in 2005 and a good season and playoff win in 2010 and then slumped back to mediocrity last season but they seem to be an exciting team to for new fans. I don't know much about the Mariners or Trail Blazers other than they seem to be averagely floating along.

Atlanta have a good young QB and a great WR group. I've just chosen the Braves as my MLB team as I can't stand the Yankees or Mets. The Hawks are a decent team that should make the playoffs this season.

I'd eliminate Washington and choose between the other three, especially Atlanta and Dallas.

Last edited by unknown brother; 14.03.2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 14.03.2012, 11:51 AM
Team Captain

A difficult choice. I assume you eliminated Philadelphia for a reason (a shame, because the Phillies are quite good and you've also got the Flyers if you ever expand into the NHL).

Seattle could be a shout, the Seahawks may be on a down-swing at the moment, but they're entertaining and they do cause some good upsets. The Mariners are a cool team, and MLB is less about the overall winner and more about the way you get there - even an average team will rack up many, many wins against good opponents, and Seattle has a passion for baseball.

But as much as it pains me to say this, Atlanta are probably your best bet. The Falcons are the 'bad guys' of the NFC for me, not entirely sure why, I just like the Saints and I see them as rivals to the Eagles because our match-ups intense and usually involve Falcons players committing heinous acts against us. The head coach Mike Smith also annoys me a bit, he's a nice enough dude but he only has one expression - frowning like he's about to cry, and he's quite religious, which he brings into the locker room. Braves and Hawks are decent teams to support.
Old 14.03.2012, 01:14 PM
Rookie

Sounds like the Washington is certainly out of the equation then.
After more searching I see how much they gave up to trade up, and whilst I think Griffin can be a stud, I don't like teams trading THAT much draft choices away.

Can separate Dallas, Seattle and Atlanta yet.

What are the cities like?
Old 14.03.2012, 02:28 PM
Banned

Atlanta - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta

Dallas - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas

Seattle - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle

Obviously with Seattle and Portland being in the pacific time zone all week night Mariners & Trail Blazers home and western away games will be on around 3am our time. Dallas being in Central time means 1am and for Atlanta it's midnight for Braves and Hawks games.
Old 14.03.2012, 02:54 PM
Team Captain

I really like the city of Seattle, I might move there one day. Possibly because it's quite an advanced city, technologically aware with lots of stuff to do (possibly because Microsoft + Penny Arcade + lots of other software companies are from around there).

If you do want to watch live games then it may be problematic, but I don't think it's too bad. NFL-wise, location has nothing to do with the Sunday Night/Monday Night games, and the time varies at other times as well (not to mention the fact that the teams do play away from coast to coast).

Baseball is less of an issue too, because even if you did want to watch live games 6 days a week, they're on during the day. I tend to just stay a day behind the schedule and watch the condensed games as they get put on overnight. Not sure about how you watch the NBA, or when it's on.
Old 14.03.2012, 05:34 PM
MVP

I am wondering why you left out an obvious city to consider-San Francisco!

The 49'ERS,Giants,Warriors,the Raiders and A's across the bridge.

One of my favorite cities in the world and plenty of teams to cheer.For me I could careless about baseball and basketball but if you want it all,no better place to consider than San Francisco/Oakland.
Old 14.03.2012, 11:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9erfan View Post
I am wondering why you left out an obvious city to consider-San Francisco!

The 49'ERS,Giants,Warriors,the Raiders and A's across the bridge.

One of my favorite cities in the world and plenty of teams to cheer.For me I could careless about baseball and basketball but if you want it all,no better place to consider than San Francisco/Oakland.
Because I have a friend who is a 9er fan
Old 15.03.2012, 12:55 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg151111 View Post
Because I have a friend who is a 9er fan
Seattle would give you some NFC West rivalry
Old 15.03.2012, 01:42 AM
Team Captain

I wish i'd decided to support all my US teams from one city when I started out, would've been a hell of a lot simpler!

My picks are incredibly higgledypiggledy I must say. I support the Saints in the NFL, Toronto Raptors and LA Clippers in the NBA, Toronto Maple Leafs in the NHL and LA Dodgers in MLB....

Incrediblely random, but anyway support the Saints! NFC South Champions 2011!

Who Dat!